'Stranger Things' Season 2
So, in case you have been living under a rock, Stranger Things is a massively hyped Netflix series. With good reason. We've been waiting for a year for this season, and I was counting down the days to dedicate my day to binge watching it. (Thank you Netflix for uploading the whole season in one day, really thank you.) But I know there are probably a few fans that enjoyed the first season and may not want to carry on watching, in case season 2 doesn't live up to the hype. Overall, I loved this season, it's hard to ruin something that has such a brilliant idea behind it, BUT it does have a few qualities that bugged me.
I'll structure my review by starting with a no spoilers version. Keeping it nice and simple as I do want to go into a deeper discussion, but I can't do that without potential spoilers.
FYI: This will be my first thoughts. I will be editing this review after I have re-watched the season.
NO SPOILERS REVIEW
This season is carrying on 1 year later from where it left off. The gang is hanging out, going to school, living their lives etc. Eleven is still a mystery, but you'll see her soon enough (and she's still cute af). There are 9 episodes this season, so one extra from last time.
What I absolutely loved about this season is that I feel like it focused a lot more on Dustin and other characters that were relatively in the background last season. With Mike a little bit more in the background for a while. Maybe, it's just me but that was the impression I got. What I've always admired about Stranger Things is that the characters are so interesting, usually, I'd question how a 12 year old can keep me glued to a story without them being boring, but Stranger Things have absolutely no problem with keeping my attention and keeping me invested in the characters.
This season they explore unfamiliar territory, they introduce new characters, loads of new ideas. And there's plenty of potential for a third season if they pull on the strings they have made in this one. I'll put you out of your misery though and reassure you that it doesn't end in a cliff-hanger. The season gets wrapped up nicely but I still hunger for more.
Overall, this is worth watching. The soundtrack was perfect, whatever team they had in that area deserves a raise. In terms of story, the first season was better in a handful of ways, I found that this one was a bit predictable but did I stop watching? Absolutely not. So either go and watch it right now or read on and see a few spoilers...
SPOILER ZONE REVIEW/DISCUSSION
What did I dislike about this season? The predictability. The great thing about season 1 was that I had no clue what was going to happen. So maybe knowing more about the story, made it more predictable. But I knew from the first episode what was going to happen in the end. There were many conundrums which were easy to guess where they were going with it. But I also think this is because there were so many ideas thrown into the pot this season. It seemed as though they asked the fans what they wanted, and used all of the ideas, so it was a bit all over the place and overwhelming. There were many perspectives as the characters were often split up, and again it was fighting this bad evil force AND the government. But this is what annoyed me the most...
UNNECESSARY NEW CHARACTERS. At the start, it introduces Joyce's love interest- Bob. Why didn't Joyce and Hopper get together? Why are we learning about Bob now? Oh, wait, yes, it's because they made the storyboard first and needed a new character to fit the spot they've created to help the mainline characters out of a situation. That is literally the only reason they created Bob. Oh, and spoiler alert. HE DIES. After we begin to accept and like him.
Next, there's a new family in town. It's ambiguous for most of the season who they even are, turns out they were just to add drama. So we have Max, a new addition to the squad, and love interested for Lucas and Dustin to fight over. Her, ass of a brother, becomes the new douche after Steve steps down from that role. Max offered NOTHING for the gang, and her brother was literally made to create drama. It's as if they had a few minutes in filming that they needed to fill so they created this family to take up time and offer no help to the overall problem the characters are facing.
And more... at the start of the very first episode, we are introduced to some pretty cool people. I'll be honest. It kept me intrigued for episodes, waiting for the moment they would go back to clear it up. We find number Eight. Another experiment with secret powers, just like Eleven. But again, the new character that wasn't very useful to the overall plot. BUT I do think this should be explored in season 3, with introducing more of the experiments. And it was nice seeing Eleven out in the world and learning/developing. Okay, I think that's everything I needed to get off my chest.
We see more of Nancy this season too. She is still split between Steve and Jonathan and fights her guilt about Barb's death. Her character arc does do justice for Barb as she attempts to out the government for covering everything up. So, you have this going on whilst Eleven is off doing her arc, and the gang are chasing after a baby Demogorgon. Nancy is quite harsh on Steve and I actually start to feel bad for him as it does explore his character more this season, and he helps out Dustin and the squad and just- where's the justice for Steve? Good guy Steve deserves more.
Let's get back to Dustin. And the baby Demogorgon. It was kind of obvious that it was a Demogorgon, but from the first second, I was calling it that I knew Dart was going to help them and be their protector in the end, like Blue in Jurassic World. Dart was a good boy at heart. AND HE DOES HELP THEM. I mean, Dart does kill a cat but you have to admit his death at the end was the saddest of them all (even though like hardly anyone died). I was surprised that none of the mainline characters got killed off. They were bold enough to kill Barb off in season 1 so I was suspicious this season, I felt for sure Steve was going to kick the bucket so that Nancy could go with Jonathan but she did that anyway. I'm not sure if the choice of keeping everyone alive was good, or it means they can be cruel in a potential third season and go Game of Thrones style on us and kill everyone. Who knows?
Oh, and can Will ever catch a break? This poor kid has literally been to hell and back. Still being haunted by the upside down and being told it could all be in his head. ALSO, THANKS BOB FOR TELLING WILL TO FACE HIS DEMONS. No wonder Bob got killed off...
I did really enjoy this season. It was worth the wait. It didn't disappoint. My hat does still go off to the writers and producers, Stranger Things is an amazing story/series, and really does offer a realistic nostalgia feel for the 80's. I do think that ALOT has happened this season, and I'm surprised it managed to wrap everything up nicely. And the ending was kinder on Eleven this season. I really do hope there's going to be a third season, maybe focussing more on the government/Hawkins lab, and introducing the other experiments that may have survived. To be honest, I just love the characters so much, I don't care what story they give us, just as long as I can see them on screen again.
I'll add below any additional notes once I've rewatched season 2...
Sources:
http://www.cbs8.com/story/36655329/stranger-things-teases-more-of-elevens-power-in-epic-new-season-2-poster
https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7qiZd2ORhXiqoEDe/source.gif
https://media.giphy.com/media/xTcf16zr7oHFtvGRXy/source.gif
https://media.giphy.com/media/xTcf15vaMZF5Bujyp2/source.gif
https://media.giphy.com/media/xTcf1mhaPY2CMc7bjO/source.gif





Comments
Post a Comment