Spider-man: Homecoming (2017)
Next, in the Marvel cinematic universe, we have Spider-man: Homecoming. This is following the events of Captain America: Civil War after we are first introduced to the new face of this classic hero. It will feature a new villain- The Vulture, as Spider-man (Tom Holland), strives to live a normal high school life in Queens whilst fighting crime as his alter-ego Spider-man.
Spider-man hasn't been on our screens since 2014 featuring Andrew Garfield in the 'Amazing Spider-man 2'. Speculating for 3 years when we'll see him again and who will be playing him. From Toby Maguire to Andrew Garfield, and finally Tom Holland, there hasn't been a steady actor to really shine the light on the Spider-man universe and expand on the potential of the character. It's safe to say that Tom had a lot of expectations to meet and will he be the last actor to assume Spider-mans identity? I hope so.
Spider-man: Homecoming is really just a taster of what's to come. It's an appetizer as we wait for the main course. Setting the stage for the next highly anticipated Marvel movies- Thor: Ragnarok and Avengers: Infinity War. However, it's also been a chance for Marvel to reset. Wiping away the slate and starting Spider-man fresh.
What I like about this movie is that it's not a repeat of the others. Peter Parker has already been bitten, we already know the gist. Uncle Ben is long dead. And we're not wasting another movie on revenge to find who the killer is. We have Peter Parker, a high school student, doing what a high school student does. And for once, we have an actor that actually looks the part. Don't get me wrong, I loved Andrew Garfield but Tom Holland has stepped up the game.
The movie also features a few appearances by Tony Stark, taking on a father figure for Peter. Because really, Superhero's have no clue what they are doing, especially ones that are still going through puberty. We even see Captain America (not directly, but it's nice to see him there). Oh, and of course there's a new take on the Spidey suit, credit of Tony.
Avoiding spoilers, as the movie progresses, Peter develops quite a bit as a hero. Learning what it truly takes and that he's not invincible. With some occasional advice from Tony, and his own conflict. We see a love interest that is finally not cliche and get introduced to some pretty interesting characters that I hope we'll be seeing again.
The cinematography is astounding, as are most Marvel films by now. There's not much to say other than Marvel did not disappoint. There were brilliant action scenes for a filler film and crazy new weapons with the special effects living up to the perfection level that Marvel has created.
Even the villain of the movie is a complex character, coming from a mundane background with no abilities whatsoever. Which is refreshing, no matter how much I miss Loki. With a satisfactory end to his story.
For me, the highlights of this movie were Aunt May (Marisa Tomei) who really did offer a new side to this old woman we've always loved and appreciated. Aunt May related more to Peter, and naturally, gives off a younger vibe despite the actress being 52 years in age. I feel like it was probably the best role model that Peter needed and there was more of a connection between the two characters than I felt in the previous movies. Marisa Tomei played the role effortlessly and elegantly.
However, I do have a couple of concerns/negative opinions too. I feel like it's lazy of them to involve Tony Stark as much as they have. There was less focus on Spider-mans actual superhuman abilities and more on this techy suit that's basically another form of Iron Man's. Whilst it's cool to see how the classic suit has evolved, I think it takes away too much of Spider-mans originality.
To conclude, I have thoroughly enjoyed this movie. It has been a good taste for what's to come, and hopefully set up the grounds for this new take on the character. Tom Holland has done an exceptional job in the role, and I hope he will continue to. I highly recommend this movie and is a must-watch, especially if you are following the Marvel timeline. Following after will be Thor: Ragnarok (October 2017), Black Panther (2018), and finally Avengers: Infinity War (2018). With another Spider-man: Homecoming sequel planned for 2019.
(Gif source: https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7aDbC2HZbTdx0556/source.gif
https://media.giphy.com/media/l0HlzXiefvOi5AWxG/source.mp4)
(Header source: http://www.denofgeek.com/us/spider-man-homecoming)



Comments
Post a Comment